Thursday, April 21, 2005

underneath the radar: week eighteen

Yes, people, I'm still alive barely. After a horrific week of 15th century Russian iconography, Criminal Procedure and Medical Law takehome exams/more exams/more essays I can finally chill for a few moments and tell you what's happened with Radar this week.

Well, in a word it was crazy. Fun, but crazy. I had my ubersarcasticyetlovely brother Andrew on as well as the surlyyetslightlycalm friend Spiro as well as beautifulyetcompletelyexasperated Lauren on the line. We actually had a completely incidental and illegal feed from another radio station, so most of talk time was dead air, trying to figure out what this ghost station was talking about. Sounds weird? Yeah, well it was. Do you think my delusions of gradeur were obliterated? yeah.

Regardless I got the sweetest sms from the studio's sms line from a faithful listener during the show which cheered me up immensely, I thought she wouldn't mind if I shared it:

"Hail Queen of the Down Underground! How fares they noble brother and fair companion? The show is running well as of yet and I am much looking forward to the infamous MixUp. Love from your itty bitty fan (I'm very short you see, hehe)"

Gosh it just makes me so happy. Ha!

Despite appearances, the show actually featured some fantastic content. Songs from the Front Row featured live covers from Graham Coxon and Elliot Smith as well as a live rendition of London Calling by the Clash. Mashups featured some odd mixtures of BRMC & Basement Jaxx as well as Alanis Morrissette & the Prodigy.

el's desire to be in sixteen candles start here

There was an odd expression of the radarlovemixedtape which showcased songs from my exasperated, heartbreaking and totally sweet teen movies. Featured soundtracks included Pretty in Pink, Never Been Kissed and Donnie Darko. EY - it IS a teen movie ok?!

Playlist for April 18th
John Frusciante - Carvel
Morrissey - The More You Ignore Me the Closer I Get
The Jam - A Town Called Malice
Graham Coxon - Time for Heroes (live)
Elliot Smith - Jealous Guy (live)
Pete Doherty - Albion
The Clash - London Calling (live)
Suzanne Vega - Left of Centre
The Cardigans - Erase & Rewind
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Tears for Fears - Head over Heals
White Stripes - Blue Orchid
Weezer - Beverley Hills
The Stills - Killer Bees
Mclusky - There Ain't No Fool in Ferguson
New Order - Guilt is a Useless Emotion
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club vs Basement Jaxx
Alanis Morrissette vs The Prodigy
Richard Ashcroft - Check the Meaning
Cake - Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps
The Robocop Kraus - In Fact, You're Just Fiction

See you guys next week! xxx

7 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

Nice work Elle, I must say that Elliott Smith is so so beautiful! Loved it! Dig was pretty damn cool, very funny and very interesting. Anton Newcomb, the lead of the Brian Jonestwon Massacre is a complete pretentious nut! but genius at that. And Courtney Taylor took my breath away with his good looks and sexy voice! hehe. talk soon

11:38 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Damnit, Blue Orchid was supposed to be a New and Approved exclusive! :/ We'll have to make do with the other leaked songs I've downloaded instead I guess!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

I still haven't finished my essay Amanda. I wish I had seen Dig with you! Darn AND blast!

Mason, I'll race you to the next unreleased leaked track :D Hahaha.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Just read the new Bruce Springsteen album has leaked. You can have that one.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

You know I couldn't even listen to the new Erasure when it leaked! I had it way before anyone else did but I just couldn't handle it. They've gone in the wrong direction with their synths :( Some people think this may have occurred in 1985 but I tend to think this happened around 2005.

I'm sure Springsteen was cool in 1985. Ha.

4:19 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

I'm not even gonna try get an unreleased leaked track cos I suck at that. anyway, i got my Doves cd and badges today although the tshirt is mega oversize! ah well, coachella tix would have been much nicer. You can go see dig with Simon who is going to see it for the third time soon! hehe. hope ur essay is done NOW :S Talk soon! Wolfmother tonight!! ooo ur 7th comment hehe.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god. I just realised that you had put my sms there. Now I sounds like a dick...fanstastic! :) Bit it WAS a good show, I enjoyed it very much.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home