Thursday, December 23, 2004

underneath the radar: week one

So mad to be back on air. For a bit of background, I'm El + I'm hosting Music is My Radar on SYN FM. Be sure to catch all festivities on 10pm - midnight on Mondays only 90.7 - but if you can't catch it, be sure to check back frequently to see what's going down each week during the summer grid.

International times for non Melbourne people, check out what time you have to listen in!

Listen online to SYN FM streaming 24/7

Background Stuff
About two years ago, I started doing radio at Latrobe Uni's SUB FM. Originally it was an outlet because their music department was shut down ten years ago. I found out that I had come to really love radio, to the point where I later named the show after two things I love excessively, Cassettes and Chocolate Milk. Admittedly, it felt weird about going through a whole summer with no radio action. So in the early summer of 2003, I came to SYN FM where I co-presented Music For the Masses on SYN FM's indie night with Fi for two grids.

Later I helped out Tony T's ever popular happy hardcore show, The Global Underground. After MT4M was wrapt up, I went on to co-present Tuesday's Hoist which used to be SYN FM's All-Australian drive time music show. During this time I also did a bit of TV producing on Channel 31's SYN TV. Once radio adventures ceased at SUB FM for the summer, I decided to present a solo show on SYN FM called Music is My Radar - and now I'm back on SUB, Wednesdays 1-3pm. So yes. El spends way too much times with ugly earphones on her head.

Week One News + Features
A completely weird week for music lovers - for me at least. The Libertines played their last gig Paris. On the same bill, PJ Harvey announced she wasn't doing live shows anymore. Queen reformed without Freddie Mercury. They plan to tour Europe April 2005 with Paul Rogers on lead vocals. Rumours circulated that Morrissey plans to tour Australia in March/April. Andy Bell of Erasure announced he was HIV Positive. Weird, sad and tragic.

The Fallen Figures of Rock closely examined the relationship between Pete Doherty and Carl Barat following the demise of the Libertines. Other features included On the Radar + tracks from the Radar vaults.

Playlist for Dec 20th
Elefant - Misfit
Interpol - Small Hands
Erasure - Ship of Fools
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence ('04 Remix)
The Faint - Desperate Guys
Franz Ferdinand - Shopping for Blood
The Strokes - Reptilia
Bloc Party - Skeleton
The Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Gwen Stefani feat. New Order - The Real Thing
Spoon - The Way We Get By
The Libertines - Don't Look Back Into the Sun
Babyshambles - Killamingaro
The Kinks - All Day + All of the Night
The Jam - In the City
Queen - Orge Battle (Live at the Hammersmith Odeon 1975)
Prosaics - Teeth
Moving Units - Unpersuaded
Phantom Planet - First Things First
Gang of Four - Ether
Bloc Party - Staying Fat
Phoenix - Run Run Run
Razorlight - Golden Touch
Blur - Magic America
Badly Drawn Boy - Once Around the Block
The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
The Killers - Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (Morrissey Cover)
Radio 4 - How the Stars Got Crossed

Coming up: El's Radio Documentary about musical fandom + its sociological ties. Interview with Gordy from UK act Bloc Party. Interview with local indie act The Gear. Interview with Californian synthpop act Cause + Effect.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic show. You're the queen of Aussie radio El.

-Adam

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home